Wednesday, September 10, 2008

VMware startup problems (511 error)

I've been struggling over a day trying to get VMware Server to successfully install on my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop. Every time I tried to open the console and connect to local host, I would get the error

"511 Error connecting to "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\vmserverdWin32.exe" process"

I also would see errors in the Event Log (Application and Security) as well. The Application log would complain about vmauthd, and "Failed to impersonate vmware user".

Searching through Google, I'd see some issues that didn't exactly pertain to mine. One post said "if this doesn't work, you're going to have to reinstall Windows." I noticed some posts mentioned having to start the Net Logon service, and noticed I didn't have that in my Services. Searching about "Net Logon" missing, it says that the Client for Microsoft Networks needs to be installed with your network interface. I look at my network interface properties, and there was no Client for Microsoft Networks!

After adding the client to my network interface, my VMware console now starts up. I'm not sure if it's worth replying my solution to the VMware Community thread, since the last update was March 2007. However, I'll post this to the blog and hopefully Google will index it for the next poor admin that is banging his head over this.

1 comment:

Marci said...

Thanks man, your the boss!

after spending quite a few hours uninstalling, installing, giving admin rights to vmware services, restarting... your solution worked!

Add "Client for Microsoft Networks" if you don't have.

Thanks!